Saturday, February 15, 2014

So the "lover's holiday" is over.  Because I'm unemployed, rarely leave the house, and have had no income for almost two months, I decided to make a heart-shaped chocolate cake, a cherry pie with hearts carved into the crust, and a home made card.  It was kind of fun designing the card and baking desserts instead of spending money and time in a store just buying these things.  My husband made dinner, and we ate by candlelight, with my mother-in-law.  Then no one wanted dessert and discussed how they needed to watch their weight.  How romantic it all was watching my mother-in-law try to slice her pork chop and complain how tough it was. Then, hearing my husband say, "Can't we turn a light on?  It's dark in here."  So romantic.
I asked my husband if he liked his card, and he said it was OK.  He, of course, got me a pretty bouquet and a beautiful store bought card.  The verse was loving and touched my heart. I know I spent more time designing and writing the verse for his card, and I had hoped he would get more excited over the effort, but this did not happen.  We spent the rest of the evening watching TV.  He watched the Olympics downstairs, and I watched "The Notebook" upstairs. (I grabbed a shot, or two, of vodka sometime during this)  Such a romantic evening!
This morning, we woke up together for the first time in a long time.  He told me to be ready by 4:15 today cause he was taking me out.  It's a big secret, but apparently it's some place I like.  I hope it's Florida so I can escape the snow that is coming AGAIN for the third time this week!  Since we have no extra money, I know it's not Florida, and not a Bed and Breakfast, or dinner because it's too early, so it might be a movie.  But, not just any movie!  A movie in a theater that has reclining seats!  Seats that are leather and soft and are just like a recliner in your house and go all the way back!  Only these seats are better because there is a giant screen in front of you and popcorn  from a popcorn popping machine! I don't even care what movie is on the screen!  Just to be able to sit back, and not be interrupted by anyone and no phones to answer, would be heaven. It really doesn't take much to get me excited!
Valentine's day is not just for lovers, but people who are in love.  People who are in love with their children, parents, grandchildren, and friends. It is a day to be reminded of this love.  Unfortunately, single people feel alone on this day proclaimed "for lovers."  This is a day to spend with family and recognizing the love all around us.  This should be done every day, but life gets in the way.  So, Valentine's Day reminds us to look for the love and recognize it in every form. In smiles, and hugs, or a card from our niece or nephew.  This is love and blessings.  Single people of the world should rejoice!  They don't have any pressure on this day to worry about what to buy, or how to they should spend their time.  It's just another day to show the people around you how much you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment