Wednesday, February 19, 2014

     I'm not sure if anyone is reading this blog, but I continue to write because I enjoy talking about life.  The more people I talk to and the older I get, the more I realize the sameness of everyone.  We have similar thoughts, secrets, and silly things we do and say. I just happen to like to write about it and every other random thought that enters my head!

     As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I am unemployed and have been for over a year.  This is on my mind every day because now I have no income other than my husband's social security.  Yesterday I had another interview 26 miles away.  It took me over an hour to get there and all I thought about was how long it would take me to get there when it snowed.  Last night, I plotted several other routes for me to travel which would take about 45 minutes.  At this time in my life, I want a job around the corner, doesn't require much thought, and most of our time is spent standing around and talking while drinking coffee.  That's what it looks like on TV.  I guess I'm confusing reality TV with reality.  Reality is, I'm getting very good at interviews.  I've had seven phone interviews, a few which led to face-to-face, and over 20 other interviews in the last 12 months.  Several of these interviews were with the same company.  I have had a couple of offers, but two were for under $10 and hour, and one I'm still kicking myself for not accepting, even though the offer wasn't quite what I needed financially.

   I have been asking myself what is wrong with me?  I feel I can do any job I've applied to with a little training.  I am not too confident with Excel and all the nuances of Word and Outlook, but I'm sure working with them every day would become easier.  My son says he can hear the lack of confidence in my voice.  Is that the problem?  I don't appear confident?  Or could it be my age?  I could retire in five years, but I didn't plan to do that. Maybe an older woman is intimidating and considered a bad investment.  I just wish I could get feedback, or even a letter of rejection once in a while.  Why do companies not let you know when the position has been filled, and you were not selected?  The wait would not be such torture if we were notified one way or the other.

     I find I complain about this an awful lot.  Since I don't like to be "that person", I plan to complain only to the people who want to complain with me.  So now I will go take a shower with the power head turned to high, open my mouth and let my teeth be water picked.  I may brush them later too. People who spend too much time at home find fun things like this to do!  Yep, we're really all the same!


1 comment:

  1. I love to complain with you! We did a good job of saving the world yesterday. If only we got paid for it!

    ReplyDelete