Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"Don't get old, kid!"  Good advice from an old man I met in a supermarket once.  He was having difficulty walking, using the cart for support, and bagging and lifting his purchases.  Then he couldn't remember where he parked his car.  That scared me.  This man was still driving and could barely walk.  Where was his family?  Did he have any family who could step in and do what needed to be done for this sweet man?  I often worried about elderly people I would see out and about who obviously had difficulty doing the things that wear a younger person out, like shopping.

Now, I would love to follow his advice and not get old, but I'm not ready for the alternative.  Although my life is very boring compared to other people I know, I still like the fact that I'm living it!

Recently I had a discussion with a friend about the difficulties of sleeping.  I can't remember if I always had a problem, but it seems sleep often escapes me the older I get.  Her solution is to get a little exercise every day and use a "blankie".  That's what I said.  Just like babies love their "blankie", she has a nice soft blankie she wraps herself in and holds against her cheek.  It is relaxing for her and helps her to sleep.  I told her I don't have a blankie, but I have a cat that is soft and curls up by my side when I go to sleep.  I pet her soft fur until my carpal tunnel starts to hurt and my bursitis in that shoulder acts up.  Then I turn to my side to prevent my knee from aching through the night.  Don't get old??  Are you kidding me?  Can't wait to see how I feel in 20 more years!

It seems we revert back to the things that comforted us when we were children, soft blankets, our animals, and sitting in the warm sunshine with our animal crackers in the summer.  (Well, that hasn't happened yet, but it's coming!!) I guess I always knew this subconsciously, but gradually, I'm realizing I'm starting to live like an older person.  In my head, I still think I'm 20 something and want to hang out with my young friends. I often have to remind myself they probably don't want to be with someone my age.  Although I am tons of fun and they love me, I just don't look their age and it would put a damper on their evening to be with someone who looks like their mom!

Therefore, on this April 1, I have to wonder who I'm fooling by thinking I will never get old.  We all get older every day.  I remember looking in the mirror one day in my early 40's and saying right out loud, "What the hell is that, and when did that happen!?!"  It seemed overnight I developed a different face.  An older face.  Maybe we can call it "a face of wisdom."  I didn't like it, but I'm getting used to it.  I obviously have no choice at this point.

April Fool my foot!  This is no joke!  You will all be there one day, so enjoy the ride until then.  After all, as you know, we are really not that different!

No comments:

Post a Comment