Saturday, March 29, 2014

I was surprised to read recently that Courtney Love genuinely suspected she knew where the lost Malaysian plane could be found before any other country figured it out.  When I mentioned this to someone they immediately said, "Was she stoned?"  How would I know?  I just know her thoughts made news and gave me something to ponder.  My first thought was, "How could a comment from Courtney Love about such a sensitive issue like this make it into the news?"  Then I thought, "Wow, she really took some time thinking about this.  I wonder why no one else thought of this?"  There was a map and arrows pointing to a place on the map.  It all looked very official.

This news started my brain to think about other things in the world that need to happen, like a cure for cancer.  There are millions of dollars being poured into cancer research and treatments, but we have yet to come up with anything that actually works without a doubt.  I know too many people who have been touched by this disease and it's starting to get on my nerves.  One of my dear friends is battling right now as well as my sister.  My sister has a positive attitude although her prognosis is dire.  My friend has been depressed since the day he learned of his illness.  I don't know what lies in his future, but I wish he would treat every day as a blessing and a gift instead of spending this time under a cloud.

I know it is difficult to deal with the prospect of not being around for your family and not knowing how long you will be around, but for heaven sake, enjoy the time you are here.  I told him this, and my husband told me he completely understood and asked why I would say such a thing.  "Should I have told him to continue worrying?  Can we stop our future, or is it only possible to live in the present?  What is the purpose of worry?"

I was told that he is probably worrying about where he is going after his demise.  Now, that is something I never thought of, but, as a Catholic, we are taught we might not get into Heaven if we do not live spiritual lives.  My husband apparently is worried about being admitted into heaven.  I told him he was a good man and didn't need to worry.  Apparently, he thinks he needs to do more, so thank goodness he is healthy and has time to redeem himself!  He told me a story about how he used to steal donuts with his friends from a bakery truck early Saturday mornings while the truck was delivering to the Acme. He and his friends took them right off the truck for breakfast, and no one ever suspected.  This was 46 years ago, and it still haunts him.  He thinks he needs to go to confession.  I told him to talk to God.  He won't rest until he talks to a priest.  Unbelievable.

Anyway, I asked my friend if he was allowed to drink wine, and he said  he is going to ask his doctor.  Just one little glass of wine could help him to relax.  Two might make him forget for a little while.  And three might make him actually have a good time!  But, we'll start with one. 

Then, I thought, wouldn't it be great if they discovered wine could cure cancer??!!  No chemo, no radiation, just go home and drink lots of wine!  Pour it on your head if you need to, depending on what type of cancer you have...skin cancer, hair cancer, scalp cancer, dandruff.  I know, I'm getting carried away.  I like wine.

So, do we think my instinctive idea that wine may cure cancer will hit the news?  I'm doubting it!  I think I'll just go have a glass of wine and keep this thought to myself.  In this case, I think we might be a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment