Friday, March 21, 2014

I have been reading the recent unemployment news and feeling discouraged by the situation of so many Americans, myself included.  The good thing is, most of the people I worked with who became unemployed at the same time, are now employed and this makes me very happy.

As for me, I have sent out at least 100 resumes and although the resume gets attention occasionally, something goes wrong with the interview. I decided after losing my job that I did not want to go back into retail, so I learned Microsoft Office thinking I could work in an office.  But, there is always something else wanted for the job that I don't feel qualified for.  No, I haven't used Excel extensively, no, I don't know Quick Books, no, I have not done bookkeeping, no, I have never worked in a Dr.'s office, or a hospital, no, I have not used PowerPoint.  That's a lot of "no's."  But, the fact that I have learned how to use all the applications in Microsoft Office does not seem to matter.  All that matters is I have not actually applied them to an actual job.  Every interviewer seems to like me, and a couple have forwarded my resume to other people, which is very unusual, but no one is willing to take the plunge to see if I can actually do the job.

One company rejected me, then called me a few weeks later, and I turned them down. Idiotic?  Yes, it was. I was recommended by friends for two other jobs, but rejected after the interview.  One because I was not certified to work in an insurance office, and I don't know why for the other.  Once, I was asked if I wanted to stay a couple of hours after an interview in a doctor's office to "get familiar with the office procedures." I had a notebook with me and took all kinds of notes, and even answered the phone.  Never heard from them again.  I don't think I scared anyone away, but who knows?

So, now I've decided to go back into retail, and applied to an open position where my son works, but they just filled the position the week before. Another man I met in a bar where I work part time offered me a job twice.  The last time he was with his wife, and both gave me their phone numbers.  When I called a few days later, they "just hired someone last week."  Why do people make offers just to rescind when actually faced with an acceptance?

Now, I feel like I've been out of work too long and employers are wary of that.  It's been over a year, and unemployment benefits have been cut off since December.  Apparently, retail is what I know best, but it kills me to go back to it.  I am tired of working weekends and holidays after 26 years.  Home Depot wanted to pay me $8.00 per hour part time.  Should I have accepted out of desperation?

My family tells me I talk everyone out of hiring me.  They want to hire me, and I tell them why I'm not the right person for the job.  I actually said to one man over the phone, "I don't think I'm the right person for this job."  What??  There is seriously something wrong with me! Instead of saying "I can do that!"  I say, "I've never done that."  I'm way too honest and need to learn to show more confidence in my abilities.

If I was younger, maybe I wouldn't have this problem.  If I was older I could collect Social Security. I'm stuck in the middle, and it's sad and frustrating that so many other people are in the same position.  All of the people I know would be an asset to anyone willing to take the plunge and hire an older, reliable worker.  I will do anything at this point and have started applying for anything I feel even slightly qualified for. My new response is, "Yes!  Absolutely, I can do that!  (There is a short training period, right?)"  "Scheduling?  Sure!!
(I can take some notes, right?)"  "Make coffee?  Of course! (As long as there is no other cooking involved.)"

My, I've done a lot of complaining here!  Sorry to bore readers with this stuff.  But, if a manager, or hiring person is reading this, take the time to consider an older, out of work employee.  They really are more dependable and would treasure the opportunity to work and be able to pay their bills!  Everyone needs to have an income that covers their expenses.  Our needs are really all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment